Bi-me is a digital platform for automated sale and self-service administration of commercial insurance.
Bi-me is an authorised financial services provider (FSP 51534). Policies are underwritten by The Hollard Insurance Company Limited (“Hollard”), The Discovery Insurance Group (“Discovery”), all which are registered insurers and authorised financial services providers. Bi-me has a binder agreement with Hollard and Discovery for entering into and administering of policies, and handling of claims.
Definition of a FAIS Complaint
Can be defined as a specific complaint relating to a financial service rendered by a financial services provider or representative to a client on or after the date of commencement of the FAIS Act, and in which complaint it is alleged that the provider or representative –
- has contravened or failed to comply with a provision of the FAIS Act and that as a result thereof the client has suffered or is likely to suffer financial prejudice or damage;
This applies to allegation by a client against Bi me (Pty) Ltd (“Bi-me”) that:
- the features of the product in question were not properly explained at point of sale; (check with compliance officer)
- the client was not given enough information that would enable him or her to make an informed decision about the financial product;
- the policy documents were not delivered and received by the client;
- there’s not enough information with regard to the lodging a claim or premium payment and frequency thereof; or
- doesn’t recall buying the financial product
This applies to allegations that Bi-me has:
- provided an incorrect service to the client;
- acted without the client’s knowledge or consent
- cancelled a policy without the client’s knowledge/consent;
- effected any policy change without the client’s knowledge/consent which has caused prejudice to the client.
This applies to allegations that:
- the client has been pushed from pillar to post without a resolution;
- representative have been rude towards the client;
- different staff provided different information when contacted about the same issue on the financial product;
- the provider promised to do one thing and then did another.
This policy applies only to complaints by clients alleging that Bi-me:
- has contravened or failed to comply with a provision of the FAIS Act and as a result thereof the complainant has suffered or is likely to suffer financial prejudice or damage;
- has wilfully or negligently rendered a financial service to the complainant and has caused prejudice or damage to the complainant or which is likely to result in prejudice or damage; or
- has treated the complainant unfairly.
How to Lodge a complaint
Step 1: Use the questions or comments chat functionality on the website.
Step 2: Speak to one of our customer care specialists on xx or email us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Step 3: If required, ask to speak to a manager to further discuss your concerns.
Once the compliant is received by the Complaints Team you may expect an acknowledgement of receipt, within 72 hours of receipt of the written complaint, providing you with details of the person who will be considering your complaint and how your complaint will be handled.
You may expect a resolution to the complaint within 6 weeks of receipt of your complaint.
Referral of the Complaint to the FAIS Ombudsman
- Should a resolution reached by Bi-me not be to your satisfaction, after receipt of the final response from Bi-me regarding your complaint, you have six months within which to submit a complaint to the FAIS Ombudsman.
- The complaint must not constitute a monetary claim in excess of R800 000.00.
- The FAIS Ombudsman will not investigate a complaint if, before the date of receipt of the complaint by the FAIS Ombudsman, or during an investigation by the FAIS Ombud, the complainant institutes proceedings in a court regarding the subject matter of the complaint.
- The FAIS Ombudsman, is accessible via the following:
Address Financial Services Board, P O Box 74571, Lynwood Ridge 0040.
Telephone +27 12 470 9080
Facsimile +27 12 348 3447
E-mail Address email@example.com
Bi-me will, on an ongoing basis, investigate the nature of complaints received and ensure that preventative measures are put in place, to avoid future occurrence of similar and other complaints.